Teachers Village needs a good Japanese Restaurant

Linggo, Setyembre 30, 2012

aka the Maguro Sushi Bar Experience




As part of my continued search for the Ramen of my childhood (which my sister is convinced is from Ajisen Ramen), or something better, my friends and I tried Maguro Sushi Bar in Teacher’s Village. It was also to celebrate the first day of my birthday week (yay vanity!).


Maguro Sushi Bar is a modest little place along Matalino Street, in between Kalayaan and East Avenue. While most of the other food places there have screaming neon signs, Maguro embraced the simplicity of the Japanese in its interiors . It felt warm and intimate and generally looked like a good place to unexpectedly find good food.

Not that we did.



Well, it wasn’t the OMG-I-FOUND-THE-RAMEN-OF-MY-DREAMS experience, not even the I-finally-found-a-good-Japanese-Restaurant-in-Teacher’s-Village experience. It was just—ok.

While ordering my Beef Ramen (PhP110), I asked if they were offering options for the soup base. When the waiter kind of looked at me funny, I knew it wasn’t a good sign (the Beef Ramen has soy based soup, btw). The noodles seemed to be fast food noodles, just a little firmer than your Lucky Me Supreme instant noodles. The soup base just felt oily and didn’t really taste right.

We also ordered the Maki Platter (Php165 for 16 pcs) which was ok except that it lacked Japanese Mayo.
If you’re wondering if we’re coming back to this place, probably not.

Though  it has Crazy Katsu (which sadly lacks makis and sushis in their menu), Teacher’s Village sorely lacks good Japanese Restaurants.


28 Matalino St., Teacher’s Village
Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines
(+632) 922-0129
11:30am to 11pm, Monday to Saturday;Open from 5pm to 11pm, Sunday

0 (mga) komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento